BLS Instructor Course
How the BLS Instructor Essentials Course works
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is taught in a blended-learning format. To become an AHA BLS Instructor, candidates must complete the online portions, followed by the hands-on session, which is classroom based. Candidates can also request to meet over zoom call, as long as they have required materials on hand. The online portion of the course contains both core content and discipline-specific modules to prepare the instructor candidates. The hands-on session, or zoom-call session, includes instruction, practice, and monitoring, allowing instructor candidates to successfully use their instructor materials and skills. As a BLS Instructor, candidates will also be able to teach the following courses:
- Basic Life Support
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver CPR AED
- Heartsaver First Aid
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
Who Can Take This Course
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the BLS Provider Course. You do not need to be a healthcare provider to teach this course!
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current American Heart Association BLS Provider course completion card (no other BLS certifications will be accepted)
- Be proficient in the skills of BLS
- Complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Online
- Be aligned with an American Heart Association Training Center (Please note: Superior Life Support does charge an alignment fee that is not included in the cost of this course.)
- Superior Life Support Instructor Membership*: $45/mo. *Membership includes American Heart Association (AHA) alignment with Superior Life Support. All American Heart Association Instructors are required to align with an authorized Training Center like Superior Life Support.
Steps to Become an Instructor
- Be accepted by a AHA Training Center (Superior Life Support) by enrolling in an Instructor Course and completing an Instructor Candidate Application with that Training Center.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials course.
$199.00 Course Fee Includes:
- AHA BLS Instructor Essentials online course
- SLS BLS Essentials online course and exam
- In-person, or zoom call, monitoring and practice of course curriculum
- BLS Instructor Manual
- 2-year AHA Instructor Certification eCard (upon successful completion of all requirements)
Additional Course Fees:
- BLS Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $20.00
- BLS DVD Set (suggested but not required to take the course): $95.00
- Heartsaver Instructor Manual (required if teaching Heartsaver disciplines): $40.00
- Heartsaver DVD Set (suggested but not required to take the course): $199.00
- Heartsaver CPR/AED and First Aid Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $5.00
**The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.**
BLS Course content:
- High-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants
- The AHA Chain of Survival, specifically the BLS components
- Important early use of an AED
- Effective ventilations using a barrier device
- Importance of teams in multirescuer resuscitation and performance as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- Relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants
Overview of the American Heart Association
- AHA/ECC Missions and Policies
- Overview of Instructor Competencies
- Program Administration Manual
- Training Center-Specific Policies
2020 Guidelines Science Instructor Updates
- BLS Science Updates
- Heartsaver Science Updates (optional)
BLS Product and Course Orientation
- Life is Why Activity
- High Performance Teams Activity
- Skills Testing Checklist and Remediation
- Instructor Exam
- Video based course ensures consistency
- Instructor-led class format reinforces skills and curriculum proficiency
- Updated Science based content
- AHA BLS Instructor Card
BLS Instructor Manual Options:
- BLS Instructor Manual #20-1103 Includes essential information needed to teach BLS courses, including full classroom and blended learning versions.
- BLS Instructor Manual eBook #20-3103 The electronic equivalent of the BLS Instructor Manual
Please note: A 2020 BLS Instructor Manual is required for this course.
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy:
Students have the right to reschedule their reservation for up to but no more than six (6) months from the date of their registration. Students also have the right to cancel their reservation and obtain a full refund as long as arrangements are made 24 hours prior to the class.* A $10.00 cancellation fee will apply for those cancellations made within 24 hours of the class.
*Please Note: Refunds cannot be issued to those students who have purchased the online AHA Web Key (Online & Skills Test) course.*