BLS Instructor Course
How the BLS Instructor Essentials Course works
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is taught in a blended-learning format. To become an AHA BLS Instructor, candidates must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session, which is classroom based. The online portion of the course contains both core content and discipline-specific modules to prepare the instructor candidates for the hands-on session. In the classroom, our Faculty will continue preparing instructor candidates to become AHA instructors by focusing on the in-depth material about the Heartsaver and BLS disciplines that candidates will be teaching. The hands-on session includes instruction, practice, and an exam, allowing instructor candidates to successfully use their instructor materials and skills. As a BLS Instructor, candidates will also be able to teach the following courses:
- BLS- Basic Life Support (for Healthcare Providers)
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver CPR AED
- Heartsaver First Aid
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
Who Can Take This Course
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the BLS Provider Course.
You do not need to be a healthcare provider to teach this course!
Teaching life-saving skills is not only rewarding, but becoming a CPR instructor is also great for:
- Building your resume while supplementing your income
- Medical students – certify your fellow students
- Healthcare Providers – certify your co-workers
- Childcare Providers – certify your parents & colleagues
This course is also a great option for current AHA BLS Instructors who want to enhance or update their teaching skills.
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current American Heart Association BLS Provider course completion card (no other BLS certifications will be accepted)
- Be proficient in the skills of BLS
- Complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Online
- Be aligned with an American Heart Association Training Center (Please note: Superior Life Support does charge an alignment fee that is not included in the cost of this course.)
- Superior Life Support Instructor Membership*: $35/mo. *Membership includes American Heart Association (AHA) alignment with Superior Life Support. All American Heart Association Instructors are required to align with an authorized Training Center like Superior Life Support.
- To align with Superior Life Support, please contact our office at email@example.com or call us at 661-607-0344. Login information will be created for you to sign up for our membership plan.
- If you do not plan to align with our AHA Training Center, please bring a signed Instructor Candidate Application showing that another Training Center has accepted you per the prerequisites set by the AHA. The Training Center that you choose to align with will be the issuer of your Instructor card.
Steps to Become an Instructor
- Be accepted by a AHA Training Center (Superior Life Support) by enrolling in an Instructor Course and completing an Instructor Candidate Application with that Training Center.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials course.
Course Fee Includes:
- BLS Instructor Essentials online course access code
- 8-hours of classroom instruction
- BLS Instructor Candidate Workbook
- Catered Lunch
- 2-year AHA Instructor Certification (upon successful completion of all requirements)
Additional Course Fees:
- BLS Instructor Manual (required for the course): $60
- BLS Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $20
- BLS DVD Set (suggested but not required to take the course): $95
- Heartsaver Instructor Manual (required if teaching HeartSaver disciplines): $40
- Heartsaver DVD Set (suggested but not required to take the course): $165
- Heartsaver CPR/AED and First Aid Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $16
**The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.**
- Key changes in basic life support, reflecting new science from the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Critical concepts in high-quality CPR
- The American Heart Association Chain of Survival
- 1-rescuer CPR and AED for adults, children and infants
- 2-rescuer CPR and AED for adults, children and infants
- Differences among adult, child and infant rescue techniques
- Bag-mask techniques for adults, children and infants
- Rescue breathing for adults, children and infants
- Relief of choking for adults, children and infants
- CPR with an advanced airway*
* This is an introduction to the compression and ventilation rates for a patient who has an advanced airway in place. For more information on advanced airways, please refer to the Airway Management Course.
Overview of the American Heart Association
- AHA/ECC Missions and Policies
- Overview of Instructor Competencies
- Program Administration Manual
- Training Center-Specific Policies
2015 Guidelines Science Instructor Updates
- BLS Science Updates
- Heartsaver Science Updates (optional)
BLS Product and Course Orientation
- Life is Why Activity
- High Performance Teams Activity
- Skills Testing Checklist and Remediation
- Heartsaver Courses
- Instructor Exam
- AHA BLS Instructor Card
BLS Instructor Manual Options:
- BLS Instructor Manual #15-1009 Includes essential information needed to teach BLS courses, including full classroom and blended learning versions.
- BLS Instructor Manual eBook #15-3103 The electronic equivalent of the BLS Instructor Manual #15-1009
Please note: A 2016 BLS Instructor Manual is required for this course.
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy:
Students have the right to reschedule their reservation for up to but no more than six (6) months from the date of their registration. Students also have the right to cancel their reservation and obtain a full refund as long as arrangements are made 24 hours prior to the class.* A $10.00 cancellation fee will apply for those cancellations made within 24 hours of the class.
*Please Note: Refunds cannot be issued to those students who have purchased the online AHA Web Key (Online & Skills Test) course.*
**For Students that are completing the ACLS or PALS Online and Skills test, there will be a $25 rescheduling fee if less than 24 hours notice.**