How the BLS Instructor Essentials Course works
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is taught in a blended-learning format. To become an AHA BLS Instructor, candidates must complete the online portions, followed by the hands-on session, which is classroom based. Candidates can also request to meet over zoom call, as long as they have required materials on hand. The online portion of the course contains both core content and discipline-specific modules to prepare the instructor candidates. The hands-on session, or zoom-call session, includes instruction, practice, and monitoring, allowing instructor candidates to successfully use their instructor materials and skills. As a BLS Instructor, candidates will also be able to teach the following courses:
- Basic Life Support
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver CPR AED
- Heartsaver First Aid
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
Who Can Take This Course
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the BLS Provider Course. You do not need to be a healthcare provider to teach this course!
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current American Heart Association BLS Provider course completion card (no other BLS certifications will be accepted)
- Be proficient in the skills of BLS
- Complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Online
- Be aligned with an American Heart Association Training Center (Please note: Superior Life Support does charge an alignment fee that is not included in the cost of this course.)
- Superior Life Support Instructor Membership*: $45/mo. *Membership includes American Heart Association (AHA) alignment with Superior Life Support. All American Heart Association Instructors are required to align with an authorized Training Center like Superior Life Support.
Steps to Become an Instructor
- Be accepted by a AHA Training Center (Superior Life Support) by enrolling in an Instructor Course and completing an Instructor Candidate Application with that Training Center.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials course.
$399.00 Course Fee Includes:
- AHA BLS Instructor Essentials online course
- SLS BLS Essentials online course and exam
- In-person, or zoom call, monitoring and practice of course curriculum
- BLS Instructor Manual
- 2-year AHA Instructor Certification eCard (upon successful completion of all requirements)
- BLS DVD Set to teach the BLS Course, the BLS Renewal Course, and for skills practice/ testing sessions for HeartCode® BLS
Additional Course Fees:
- BLS Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $20.00
- Heartsaver Instructor Manual (required if teaching Heartsaver disciplines): $40.00
- Heartsaver DVD Set (suggested but not required to take the course): $199.00
- Heartsaver CPR/AED and First Aid Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $5.00
Please add to cart to see the total amount for the BLS Instructor Course.