When do I get my card?

You will receive your card the day of the course:

1. You will receive an email from eCards@heart.org with a link inviting you to claim your eCard
online. Please make sure to check your spam or junk folder. The link will direct you to the Student
Profile webpage; please confirm that all information on that page (First Name, Last Name, Email,
Phone Number (if entered for claiming by SMS), eCard Code, AHA Instructor Name, and Training
Center information) is correct. If it is not, contact your Training Center.

2. Set up your security question and answer. Accept the terms of the site and click “Submit.”

3. Complete the survey on the course you just completed. Your answers to these questions will help
improve the quality of future AHA training.

4. After you complete the survey, your eCard will display. You can save or print your eCard.

5. Once your eCard has been claimed, you will receive an email notification; please save this
confirmation email for your records.

What do I wear?

You will want to wear clothing that is comfortable and easy to maneuver around in.

Why do you require a book?

The AHA requires that students have a book before during and after the course so that they can refer back to the material once they have become certified. The manual provides the student with a reference to utilize before, during, and after the class.

Do I need to study before hand?

We highly encourage you to study beforehand! Books are available for shipping and pick up at our office Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. ACLS and PALS courses do have pre-course work that must be completed prior to the course.

What if I already have a book?

Just make sure the book is up to date with the current AHA 2020 guidelines.

Where are your classes located?

Our classes are held at our Superior Life Support Training Facility in Valencia. More advanced courses may be held off site. The class confirmation email will contain the courses location information.

How do I register/pay for a class?

You can register on our website by clicking on the course you wish to enroll in and the date and time that is most convenient for you. This will take you to a registration page where you can submit your payment information and secure a spot in the class.

What if I want to pay cash?

You can stop by our office Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm before the class to pay. You must pay before the class to ensure a spot in the course.

Can I just show up to a course?

We ask that all of our students pre-register online so that we can best accommodate our students by having the right amount of supplies needed for the course. By registering online, it ensures you a spot in the class. Classes do fill up quickly!

What if I lose my card?

1. Visit https://ecards.heart.org/student/myecards

2. On the “Student” tab, enter your First Name, Last Name, and Email
(ensure this is the email address that was used to sign up for the course) OR enter your eCard Code
at the bottom of the page. Click “Search.”

3. Answer your security question.

4. If all the information entered is correct, you will be brought to a page that shows “My eCards.” If
your eCard cannot be found, contact your Training Center to verify your information.

5. To download an eCard, select the size you would like (Full or Wallet) where it says, “View eCard.

6. To email an eCard, select “Email Cards,” enter the email address, and click “Email.”

What if my name changes? Do I have to pay for a new card?

If your name has changed since you have taken your course, your eCard can be edited by Superior Life Support. Contact our office at 661-607-0344 to request an eCard change.

Can I get a CE?

You can receive 1 unit of credit per each hour of classroom time. We offer CE’s for BLS for the Dental Board which includes DMD, DDS, RDA, RDH. For RN’s and EMS, we offer CE’s for ACLS and PALS initials and renewals.

How long does my certification last?

All certifications are issued through AHA and are valid for two years.

What do I do if my online key isn't working?

If you are experience a problem with the online portion of the program please contact the AHA Online Support Team at (888) 242-8883 or at help@onlineaha.org. Please be advised this office is out of Texas and is open 9am-5pm eastern time.