Heartsaver First Aid & CPR AED – Blended Learning
This course is designed to prepare students to provide first aid, CPR, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner
Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Online is the eLearning portion of the Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED blended learning course and is designed to teach students the cognitive information needed for first aid, CPR, and AED training
Upon completion of the online portion, students must complete a hands-on skills session with an AHA BLS or Heartsaver Instructor.
Please purchase this course by selecting the date you would like to come in for your skills session. Your online access key will be provided in your order confirmation.
A Skills session only option is available for students who have purchased the online key directly from the AHA and only need to purchase the practice and skills session.
Who should take this class?
This course is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in First Aid, CPR and AED use to meet job, regulatory or other requirements.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
*If online course is purchased during non-business hours, online course will be sent the following business day (business hours are 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday).
- Course length: Online portion is about 4 hours and 45 minutes; skills and hands on sessions are about 2.5 hours with optional modules included
- After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child*
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child*
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant*
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant*
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of first aid rescuers
- Describe the key steps in first aid
- Remove protective gloves
- Find the problem
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack,difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- Use an epinephrine pen
- Control bleeding and bandaging
- Recognize elements of common injuries
- Recognize elements of common illnesses
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- *Child/Infant Module is optional.
- Students have the convenience of completing the course at their own pace at work, home, or wherever Internet access is available
- Can be used for initial or renewal training
- Includes interactive exercises and videos to engage students and provide periodic points of knowledge transference
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully
Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Course Completion Card that is valid for two years.
During the course, an AHA Instructor conducts video-based lessons and works with students to complete their first aid, CPR and AED skills practice and testing.
- Students have access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation of their key to help reinforce what they have learned
- Includes audio and transcript for students who may have a hearing or visual disability
- Screen and text-sized options help meet diverse learning needs
- Navigation controls provide students with the flexibility to move easily through content and customize their learning experience
Online Class & Skills Test (Part 1, 2 & 3)
Skills Practice and Testing (Part 2 & 3)