HeartSaver First Aid CPR-AED Instructors
How the HS Instructor Essentials Course works
The HS Instructor Essentials Course is taught in a blended-learning format. To become an AHA HS Instructor, candidates must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session, which is classroom based. The online portion of the course contains both core content and discipline-specific modules to prepare the instructor candidates for the hands-on session. In the classroom, our Faculty will continue preparing instructor candidates to become AHA instructors by focusing on the in-depth material about the HS disciplines that candidates will be teaching. The hands-on session includes instruction, practice, and an exam, allowing instructor candidates to successfully use their instructor materials and skills. As a BLS Instructor, candidates will also be able to teach the following courses:
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver CPR AED
- Heartsaver First Aid
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
Who Can Take This Course
The HS Instructor Essentials Course is for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the HS Provider Course.
You do not need to be a healthcare provider to teach this course!
Teaching life-saving skills is not only rewarding, but becoming a CPR instructor is also great for:
- Building your resume while supplementing your income
- Develop in-house training for your company
- Childcare Providers – certify your parents & colleagues
This course is also a great option for current AHA HS Instructors who want to enhance or update their teaching skills.
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current American Heart Association HS Provider course completion card (no other HS certifications will be accepted)
- Be proficient in the skills of HS
- Complete the HS Instructor Essentials Online
- Be aligned with an American Heart Association Training Center (Please note: Superior Life Support does charge an alignment fee that is not included in the cost of this course.)
- Superior Life Support Instructor Membership*: $45/mo. *Membership includes American Heart Association (AHA) alignment with Superior Life Support. All American Heart Association Instructors are required to align with an authorized Training Center like Superior Life Support.
- To align with Superior Life Support, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 661-607-0344. Login information will be created for you to sign up for our membership plan.
Steps to Become an Instructor
- Be accepted by a AHA Training Center (Superior Life Support) by enrolling in an Instructor Course and completing an Instructor Candidate Application with that Training Center.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials course.
Course Fee: $494.99
- HS Instructor Essentials online course access code
- 8-hours of classroom instruction
- Catered Lunch
- 2-year AHA Instructor Certification (upon successful completion of all requirements)
Additional Course Fees:
- Heartsaver Instructor Manual (required if teaching HeartSaver disciplines): $60
- Heartsaver DVD Set (suggested but not required to take the course): $180
- Heartsaver CPR/AED and First Aid Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $5
**The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.**
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concept of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Demonstrate giving effective breaths by using mouth to mouth or a mask for all ages
- Demonstrate performing high-quality CPR for an adult, a child, and an infant
- Demonstrate using an AED on an adult and on a child
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant
- Heartsaver® Instructor Essentials Online covers:
- Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver® First Aid
- Heartsaver® CPR AED
- Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver® Bloodborne Pathogens
- Presented in 2 parts: Core & Heartsaver® (Both must be completed.)
- Includes Resource Center with access to AHA’s Program Administration Manual, the Heartsaver® Instructor Candidate Workbook, the Heartsaver® Instructor Essentials Classroom Checklist, and quick links to the AHA Instructor Network and cpr.heart.org
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully; certificate must be presented for access to the hands-on, faculty-led session.
- Access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation of their key
- Includes audio and subtitles for any students who may have visual or auditory disability
Part 1 must be paired with a hands-on skills practice and testing session (Parts 2 and 3) with an AHA Training Center. Students who successfully complete Part 1 receive a certificate that allows them entrance into a skills practice and testing session. An AHA Heartsaver Instructor card will be issued upon successful completion of all three parts.
- 20-1130 Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Instructor Manual
- 20-123 Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED DVD Set
- 20-1126 Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy:
Students have the right to reschedule their reservation for up to but no more than six (6) months from the date of their registration. Students also have the right to cancel their reservation and obtain a full refund as long as arrangements are made 24 hours prior to the class.* A $10.00 cancellation fee will apply for those cancellations made within 24 hours of the class.
*Please Note: Refunds cannot be issued to those students who have purchased the online AHA Web Key (Online & Skills Test) course.*