Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Instructors
How the PALS Instructor Essentials Course works
The PALS Instructor Essentials Course is taught in a blended-learning format. To become an AHA PALS Instructor, candidates must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session, which is classroom based. The online portion of the course contains both core content and discipline-specific modules to prepare the instructor candidates for the hands-on session. In the classroom, our Faculty will continue preparing instructor candidates to become AHA instructors by focusing on the in-depth material about the PALS discipline that candidates will be teaching. The hands-on session includes instruction, practice, and an exam, allowing instructor candidates to successfully use their instructor materials and skills. As a PALS Instructor, candidates will also be able to teach the following courses:
- PALS Initial
- PALS Renewal
- PALS Heartcode Online and Skills
Who Can Take This Course
The PALS Instructor Essentials Course is for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the PALS Provider Course.
You must be a licensed professional to teach this course! Candidates interested in taking this course must be a licensed or certified healthcare professional with PALS skills in their scope of practice (examples include: paramedic, MD, RN, NP, PA)
Teaching life-saving skills is not only rewarding, but becoming a PALS Instructor is also great for:
- Building your resume while supplementing your income
- Creating a business in conjunction with your healthcare career
- Becoming a champion of life-saving knowledge and skills
This course is also a great option for current AHA PALS Instructors who want to enhance or update their teaching skills.
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current American Heart Association PALS Provider course completion card (no other PALS certifications will be accepted)
- Be proficient in the skills of PALS
- Complete the AHA PALS Instructor Essentials Course Online
- Be aligned with an American Heart Association Training Center (Please note: Superior Life Support does charge an alignment fee that is not included in the cost of this course.)
- Superior Life Support Instructor Membership*: $35/mo. *Membership includes American Heart Association (AHA) alignment with Superior Life Support. All American Heart Association Instructors are required to align with an authorized Training Center like Superior Life Support.
- To align with Superior Life Support, please contact our office at email@example.com or call us at 661-607-0344. Login information will be created for you to sign up for our membership plan.
- If you do not plan to align with our AHA Training Center, please bring a signed Instructor Candidate Application showing that another Training Center has accepted you per the prerequisites set by the AHA. The Training Center that you choose to align with will be the issuer of your Instructor card.
Steps to Become an Instructor
- Be accepted by a AHA Training Center (Superior Life Support) by enrolling in an Instructor Course and completing an Instructor Candidate Application with that Training Center.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials course.
- Completing the Course Director Program as outlined by Superior Life Support in the Instructor Essentials Instructor Led Course. Instructors must be signed off as Course Directors by the Training Center Coordinator. (PAM pg. 39, 48-49)
Course Fee: $594.99
- PALS Instructor Essentials online course access code
- 8-hours of classroom instruction
- Course Director Mentorship
- 2-year AHA Instructor Certification (upon successful completion of initial monitoring)
Additional Course Fees:
- PALS Instructor Manual (required for the course): $50
- PALS Provider DVD Set (not included in Instructor Manual): $85
- PALS Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $45
**The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.**
- 1- and 2-rescuer child CPR and AED use
- 1- and 2-rescuer infant CPR
- Cardiac, respiratory and shock case discussions and simulations
- Key changes in pediatric advanced life support, reflecting the new science from the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Management of respiratory emergencies
- Resuscitation team concept
- Rhythm disturbances and electrical therapy
- Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment
- Vascular access
- Classroom-based works well for learners who prefer group interaction and instructor feedback while learning skills
- Co-branded with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Course uses learning stations for practice of essential skills simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active participation
- Hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
Students who successfully complete the PALS Instructor Course, including the following components, will receive a PALS Instructor Course Completion Card, valid for two years:
- Actively participate in, practice and complete all learning stations
- Complete the closed-book written exam with a minimum score of 84%
- Pass the 1- and 2-Rescuer Child BLS With AED and 1- and 2-Rescuer Infant BLS Skills Tests
- Pass 2 PALS core case scenarios (1 cardiac and 1 respiratory or shock) as a team leader, providing appropriate medical treatment and demonstrating effective team dynamics
Instructor candidates will be provided:
- PALS Instructor Manual
- 90-1430 PALS Instructor Essentials
september, 2019 No Classes
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy:
Students have the right to reschedule their reservation for up to but no more than six (6) months from the date of their registration. Students also have the right to cancel their reservation and obtain a full refund as long as arrangements are made 24 hours prior to the class.* A $10.00 cancellation fee will apply for those cancellations made within 24 hours of the class.
*Please Note: Refunds cannot be issued to those students who have purchased the online AHA Web Key (Online & Skills Test) course.*
**For Students that are completing the ACLS or PALS Online and Skills test, there will be a $25 rescheduling fee if less than 24 hours notice.**