PALS Instructor Renewal
This course meets the AHA requirement for Instructor status renewal. Instructors may renew their status by meeting all of the following criteria or by successfully completing all requirements for a new instructor as stated in the AHA Program Administration Manual (PAM).
Instructor Renewal Criteria:
- Maintain current provider status as evidenced by a current provider card or demonstration of acceptable provider skills and successful completion of the provider written examination.
- If the instructor chooses the demonstration route, successful completion must be documented on the Instructor/TCF Renewal Checklist. A new provider card may be issued at the discretion of the TC or on request of the renewing instructor but is not required by the AHA.
- Earn 4 credits by doing any combination of the following:
- Teach a minimum of 4 classroom provider courses or provider updates or renewals in 2 years for the discipline in which the instructor is renewing
- Conduct skills practice and testing sessions for eLearning courses. Each day of skills practice and testing sessions counts as 1 of the required 4 courses; all 4 credits can be earned this way.
- Attend updates as required within the previous 2 years. Updates may address new course content or methodology and review TC, regional, and national ECC information.
- Be monitored while teaching before instructor status expiration. The first monitoring after the initial instructor course does not satisfy this requirement.
This Instructor Renewal course provides a platform for an instructor to demonstrate acceptable provider skills and successful completion of the provider written examination as well as Instructor monitoring by a TCF member. All other renewal criteria must be met prior to this course as outlined in the PAM.
The PALS Instructor Renewal course is required for:
- All expiring AHA PALS Instructors
- The course is also an option for current AHA PALS Instructors who want to enhance their teaching skills
This renewal course reinforces the following general competencies identified by the International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction (IBSTPI):
- Planning and Preparation for Courses
- Instructing Courses
- Conducting Written Exams, Skills Practice and Skills Testing
- Keeping your PALS Instructor Status Current
Participants who successfully complete the AHA PALS renewal course will receive a new instructor card.
- Updated Science based content
- Co-branded with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- Renewal course uses learning stations for essential skills simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active participation
- Hands-on class format reinforces instructors skills proficiency
Students who successfully complete the PALS Instructor Course, including the following components, will receive a PALS Instructor Course Completion Card, valid for two years:
- Actively participate in, practice and complete all learning stations
- Complete the closed-book written exam with a minimum score of 84%
- Pass the 1- and 2-Rescuer Child BLS With AED and 1- and 2-Rescuer Infant BLS Skills Tests
- Pass 2 PALS core case scenarios (1 cardiac and 1 respiratory or shock) as a team leader, providing appropriate medical treatment and demonstrating effective team dynamics
Instructor is responsible for producing the following at the time of renewal:
- 90-1430 PALS Instructor Manual
- 90-1056 PALS Emergency Crash Cart Cards
- 90-1053 PALS Pocket Reference Card
- 90-1052 PALS Provider Manual with Pocket Reference Card
september, 2019 No Classes
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy:
Students have the right to reschedule their reservation for up to but no more than six (6) months from the date of their registration. Students also have the right to cancel their reservation and obtain a full refund as long as arrangements are made 24 hours prior to the class.* A $10.00 cancellation fee will apply for those cancellations made within 24 hours of the class.
*Please Note: Refunds cannot be issued to those students who have purchased the online AHA Web Key (Online & Skills Test) course.*
**For Students that are completing the ACLS or PALS Online and Skills test, there will be a $25 rescheduling fee if less than 24 hours notice.**