Heartsaver Instructor Renewal
The Instructor Essentials is a prerequisite for:
- All AHA Instructor candidates
- AHA Instructors adding other disciplines to their teaching credentials
- AHA National and Regional Faculty, and Training Center Faculty
The course is also an option for current AHA Instructors who want to enhance their teaching skills
The course content is based on an adult learning model where participants view a scenario, compare teaching principles, and determine which skills need to be enhanced to make training effective.
Through 20 modules, the course teaches these five general competencies identified by the International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction (IBSTPI):
- Professional Foundations
- Planning and Preparation
- Instructional Methods and Strategies
- Assessment and Evaluation
The course also includes two modules from the American Heart Association:
- Cultural Sensitivity
Participants receive a Certificate of Completion after successfully completing the course.
Instructor candidates must first align with an AHA Training Center accepting new Instructors. The Training Center will provide an authorized code to purchase course materials or the online course key. Participants complete a series of interactive lessons.
Book purchase includes:
- Instructor Manual
- 80-1050 – Core Instructor Course Package
Package includes student manual and CD; Instructor Network Code required for purchase.
- Key changes in basic life support, reflecting new science from the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Critical concepts in high-quality CPR
- The American Heart Association Chain of Survival
- 1-rescuer CPR and AED for adults, children and infants
- 2-rescuer CPR and AED for adults, children and infants
- Differences among adult, child and infant rescue techniques
- Bag-mask techniques for adults, children and infants
- Rescue breathing for adults, children and infants
- Relief of choking for adults, children and infants
- CPR with an advanced airway*
* This is an introduction to the compression and ventilation rates for a patient who has an advanced airway in place. For more information on advanced airways, please refer to the Airway Management Course.
- Updated Science based content
- Self-directed, Web based
- Access to BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual
- Downloadable algorithms
- BLS for Healthcare Providers Pocket Reference Card
Part 1 must be paired with a hands-on skills practice and testing session (Parts 2 and 3) with an AHA BLSInstructor. Students who successfully complete Part 1 receive a certificate that allows them entrance into a skills practice and testing session. An AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers course completion card will be issued upon successful completion of all three parts.
- 90-1403 BLS for Healthcare Providers Online Part 1
september, 2019 No Classes
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy:
Students have the right to reschedule their reservation for up to but no more than six (6) months from the date of their registration. Students also have the right to cancel their reservation and obtain a full refund as long as arrangements are made 24 hours prior to the class.* A $10.00 cancellation fee will apply for those cancellations made within 24 hours of the class.
*Please Note: Refunds cannot be issued to those students who have purchased the online AHA Web Key (Online & Skills Test) course.*
**For Students that are completing the ACLS or PALS Online and Skills test, there will be a $25 rescheduling fee if less than 24 hours notice.**