ACLS Instructor Essentials Course
How the ACLS Instructor Essentials Course works
The ACLS Instructor Essentials Course is taught in a blended-learning format. To become an AHA ACLS Instructor, candidates must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session, which is classroom based. The online portion of the course contains both core content and discipline-specific modules to prepare the instructor candidates for the hands-on session. In the classroom, our Faculty will continue preparing instructor candidates to become AHA instructors by focusing on the in-depth material about the ACLS discipline that candidates will be teaching. The hands-on session includes instruction, practice, and an exam, allowing instructor candidates to successfully use their instructor materials and skills. As a ACLS Instructor, candidates will also be able to teach the following courses:
- ACLS Initial
- ACLS Renewal
- ACLS Heartcode Online and Skills
Who Can Take This Course
The ACLS Instructor Essentials Course is for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the ACLS Provider Course.
You must be a licensed professional to teach this course! Candidates interested in taking this course must be a licensed or certified healthcare professional with ACLS skills in their scope of practice (examples include: paramedic, MD, RN, NP, PA)
Teaching life-saving skills is not only rewarding, but becoming a ACLS Instructor is also great for:
- Building your resume while supplementing your income
- Creating a business in conjunction with your healthcare career
- Becoming a champion of life-saving knowledge and skills
This course is also a great option for current AHA ACLS Instructors who want to enhance or update their teaching skills.
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current American Heart Association ACLS Provider course completion card (no other ACLS certifications will be accepted)
- Be proficient in the skills of ACLS
- Complete the AHA ACLS Instructor Essentials Course Online
- Be aligned with an American Heart Association Training Center (Please note: Superior Life Support does charge an alignment fee that is not included in the cost of this course.)
- Superior Life Support Instructor Membership*: $35/mo. *Membership includes American Heart Association (AHA) alignment with Superior Life Support. All American Heart Association Instructors are required to align with an authorized Training Center like Superior Life Support.
- To align with Superior Life Support, please contact our office at email@example.com or call us at 661-607-0344. Login information will be created for you to sign up for our membership plan.
- If you do not plan to align with our AHA Training Center, please bring a signed Instructor Candidate Application showing that another Training Center has accepted you per the prerequisites set by the AHA. The Training Center that you choose to align with will be the issuer of your Instructor card.
Steps to Become an Instructor
- Be accepted by a AHA Training Center (Superior Life Support) by enrolling in an Instructor Course and completing an Instructor Candidate Application with that Training Center.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials course.
- Completing the Course Director Program as outlined by Superior Life Support in the Instructor Essentials Instructor Led Course. Instructors must be signed off as Course Directors by the Training Center Coordinator. (PAM pg. 39, 48-49)
Course Fee: $594.99
- ACLS Instructor Essentials online course access code
- 8-hours of classroom instruction
- Course Director Mentorship
- 2-year AHA Instructor Certification (upon successful completion of initial monitoring)
Additional Course Fees:
- ACLS Instructor Manual (required for the course): $50
- ACLS Provider DVD Set (not included in Instructor Manual): $85
- ACLS Provider Manual (unless previously owned from provider course): $45
**The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.**
- Airway management
- Basic life support skills, including effective chest compressions, use of a bag-mask device and use of an AED
- Effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
- Effective Resuscitation Team Dynamics
- Management of acute coronary syndromes (ACS) and stroke
- Recognition and early management of peri-arrest conditions such as symptomatic bradycardia
- Recognition and early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
- Related pharmacology
- Course uses learning stations for practice of essential skills
- Simulated clinical scenarios that encourage Active participation
- Hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Classroom-based works well for learners who prefer group interaction and instructor feedback while learning skills
Upon successful course completion the ACLS Instructor Candidate shall:
- Submit the AHA ACLS Instructor Essentials online course completion certificate
- Attend a video based classroom session
- Perform instructor skills competency in all learning stations
- Lead instruction during the CPR and AED skills test, bag-mask ventilation skills test and Megacode test
- Administer the written test
- Receive an ACLS Instructor card valid for two years.
- 90-1012 ACLS Pocket Reference Card Set (set of 2)
- 90-1014 ACLS Provider Manual, includes ACLS Pocket Reference Card Set
july, 2019 No Classes
Refund Policy/Cancellation Policy:
Students have the right to reschedule their reservation for up to but no more than six (6) months from the date of their registration. Students also have the right to cancel their reservation and obtain a full refund as long as arrangements are made 24 hours prior to the class.* A $10.00 cancellation fee will apply for those cancellations made within 24 hours of the class.
*Please Note: Refunds cannot be issued to those students who have purchased the online AHA Web Key (Online & Skills Test) course.*
**For Students that are completing the ACLS or PALS Online and Skills test, there will be a $25 rescheduling fee if less than 24 hours notice.**