AHA HeartCode BLS – Online
HeartCode BLS is the AHA’s blended learning delivery method for the BLS Course. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning, in which a student completes part of the course in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on session.
Who should take this class?
Designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in-facility and pre-hospital settings.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
After completing the course, students should be able to:
- Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Describe all of the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children and infants
- Describe the importance of early use of an AED and demonstrate its use
- Provide effective ventilations by using a barrier device
- Describe the importance of team dynamics in multirescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants
- Includes in-facility and prehospital tracks; student chooses his/her track before starting HeartCode BLS modules
- Includes 10 modules, 5 eSimulations and two video tutorials
- eSimulation cases include: Two adult two-rescuer BLS cases; One child one-rescuer BLS case; One infant two-rescuer BLS case; One infant one-rescuer BLS cases
- Summary of critical concepts provided for each eSimulation case
- Virtual debriefings provided immediately after each eSimulation, with hyperlinks to the referenced section of the BLS Provider Manual
- Includes the following downloadable resources: BLS reference card; alogorithms; team diagram; summary of high quality CPR components; skills testing checklist; and AHA Chain of Survival
- Online access to the BLS Provider Manual
- Multiple choice, 25-question exam to test cognitive knowledge
- Certificate of completion available to print after HeartCode BLS modules and simulations, exam, and course evaluation have been completed successfully
- Access to all information in the course for 24 month following activation